Staff Software Engineer, Web Architecture
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
As a top-20 web site, our web application is critical to supporting hundreds of millions of learners each year. As an engineer in Web Infrastructure, you will develop the application architecture and tooling to support fast development at high quality to help even more learners, around the globe with varying network and computational resources. You will streamline development to help product teams experiment with new features without impairing performance or reliability.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
- Identify and implement performance improvements to our website (e.g. Time-To-Interactive, First-Input-Delay, FPS)
- Instrument application reliability to support automated rollout and traffic shifting
- Participate in design, code, and architecture reviews
- Help our transition from REST to GraphQL
- Automate and abstract to improve velocity
- Evolve and evangelize best practices
- Engage with open source communities
- You have a penchant for high leverage architecture and tooling improvements
- You enjoy digging into CPU and network profiling to find the fat and cut it
- Crafting an AST transformation to improve the whole codebase at once appeals to you
- Compassion for fellow engineers and a desire to help them ship a great application
- 6+ years experience building web applications
- 2+ years experience in web infrastructure
- Experience working on large-scale web applications, with attention to scalability and performance concerns
- Experience working with both client-side and server-side technologies
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!